Saturday, April 6, 2013

Day 10, Healthy Plan Recap

Today is Day 10. The last ten days have been both easy and hard. This is a draft as I think about what i want to do and where i want to end up. Updated but still a draft.

Walgreens https://www.walgreens.com/steps/stepslanding.jsp

My 90 Day Manifesto is to become more healthy. At times during the past 10 days, I have wanted so much to focus on nothing but losing weight. And to only focus on dropping pounds. The eat less, exercise more thing and to just pound, pound, pound until it's gone. The problem with that is that I am not sure if I can maintain a weight loss if I don't make a lot of good habits

But what I want to more than anything is to have a better life, not just lose weight. I want to be healthy. I want to be able to walk, run, bike, hike, canoe, ride my motorcycle better. I want a better quality of life. This is not the first time I have started out just wanting to lose weight and then realized that i really needed to get better balance in my life.

Ya know, I can't do this today. I need to finish figuring out where I want to be and what i want to do to get there. I need to finish cogitating. I know where i would like to be in 90 days 60-80 pounds down. But what else do I want?

Todays Weight: 247.1 BMI: 38.79 My goal for this week is 245. Not sure if I will meet it or not. That's kind of scary to me.

What I am noticing is that a number of exciting things are happening to me. When I go to eat now, I am more controlled. I can eat part of a sweet potato, pass up foods that aren't healthy for me, substitute one thing for another. I wonder some if I will still be able to do that when I run into regular situations. But I am in a better place mentally regarding my health than I have been before.

Also, I am able to move faster, want to move more and that my knees aren't bothering me as much during yoga. My body is finally becoming more stable. That is incredibly important to me since I want to be able to walk, hike, bike etc. I'm trying to figure out just what that might be like. What that might mean to me.

In the past I was more interested in my toys being the kind that have motors. Now I seem to be really interested in considering non-motorized toys. I've started to dream about doing things that mean that I really move while doing them.

I would like to try a kayak like the one below, so I can get out and enjoy rivers while I am in Michigan. Along with that I need a life vest. I want to be able to fit into a regular size one. Maybe one of those one size fits all that I  want to be able to fit into and not worry about whether I can fit into it or not. I am not sure what kind of kayaking I would like to do yet either. That makes it hard to know what to look at.

          

I'd like to get back into bicycle riding again. I enjoy doing intervals on recumbent exercise bikes. There is a problem also and I'm not sure that I can get my knees to bend enough to ride a regular bike. I would like to try a recumbent bike that can go on a road. I like the recumbent style a lot. Some have steering wheels. Some have different types of handlebars,some have steering under the seat. I worry about arm and shoulder numbness with a higher steering mechanism.

I also need new (or at least different shoes now. Some that give me more support as I walk more so my knees will hurt less. It's kind of weird to think about shoes and all the options there are now. When I was playing basketball the option was Converse All Stars or Keds. Now there are so many other options. What is an exertion shoe? Do I want to run? And I know I like both Reebok and New Balance shoes.

 
And I would like to try some different things like a medicine ball. Or kettle bells. It seems really strange to me that I would think about things like running shoes, kettle bells or medicine balls now instead of things like cake, cookies, or candy. Don't get me wrong. I still think about Milk Duds. There's a store that carries them that is within walking distance, but I would rather walk to the workout room than the store that sells the candy.

No comments:

Post a Comment